Nebraska Revised Statute 37-548
Chapter 37 Section 548
Aquatic invasive species; wildlife; prohibited acts; violation; penalty; release, importation, commercial exploitation, and exportation permits; fees; commission; powers and duties.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to import into the state or release to the wild any aquatic invasive species or any live wildlife including the viable gametes, eggs or sperm, except those which are approved by rules and regulations of the commission or as otherwise provided in the Game Law. It shall be unlawful to commercially exploit or export from the state any aquatic invasive species or dead or live wildlife taken from the wild except those which are exempted by rules and regulations of the commission. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class III misdemeanor.
(2) The commission shall adopt and promulgate rules and regulations to carry out subsection (1) of this section. In adopting such rules and regulations, the commission shall be governed by the Administrative Procedure Act. Such rules and regulations shall include a listing of (a) the aquatic invasive species or wildlife which may be released or imported into the state and (b) the aquatic invasive species or wildlife taken from the wild which may be commercially exploited or exported from the state. The rules and regulations for release, importation, commercial exploitation, and exportation of species other than commercial fish and bait fish shall include, but not be limited to, requirements for annual permits for release or importation or for commercial exploitation or exportation, permit fees, the number of individual animals of a particular species that may be released, imported, collected, or exported under a permit, and the manner and location of release or collection of a particular species. The rules and regulations may be amended, modified, or repealed from time to time, based upon investigation and the best available scientific, commercial, or other reliable data.
(3) The commission shall establish permit fees as required by subsection (2) of this section to cover the cost of permit processing and enforcement of the permits and research into and management of the ecological effects of release, importation, commercial exploitation, and exportation. The commission shall remit the fees to the State Treasurer for credit to the Wildlife Conservation Fund.
(4) The commission may determine that the release, importation, commercial exploitation, or exportation of aquatic invasive species or wildlife causes economic or ecologic harm by utilizing the best available scientific, commercial, and other reliable data after consultation, as appropriate, with federal agencies, other interested state and county agencies, and interested persons and organizations.
(5) The commission shall, upon its own recommendation or upon the petition of any person who presents to the commission substantial evidence as to whether such additional species will or will not cause ecologic or economic harm, conduct a review of any listed or unlisted species proposed to be removed from or added to the list published pursuant to subdivision (2)(a) of this section. The review shall be conducted pursuant to subsection (4) of this section.
(6) The commission shall, upon its own recommendation or upon the petition of any person who presents to the commission substantial evidence that commercial exploitation or exportation will cause ecologic or economic harm or significant impact to an aquatic or wildlife population, conduct a review of any listed or unlisted species proposed to be added to or removed from the list published pursuant to subdivision (2)(b) of this section. The review shall be conducted pursuant to subsection (4) of this section.
- Administrative Procedure Act, see section 84-920.