Nebraska Revised Statute 44-5502
For purposes of the Surplus Lines Insurance Act:
(1) Affiliated group means a group of entities in which each entity, with respect to an insured, controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with the insured;
(2) Control means:
(a) To own, control, or have the power of an entity directly, indirectly, or acting through one or more other persons to vote twenty-five percent or more of any class of voting securities of another entity; or
(b) To direct, by an entity, in any manner, the election of a majority of the directors or trustees of another entity;
(3) Department means the Department of Insurance;
(4) Director means the Director of Insurance;
(5)(a) Exempt commercial purchaser means any person purchasing commercial insurance that, at the time of placement, meets the following requirements:
(i) The person employs or retains a qualified risk manager to negotiate insurance coverage;
(ii) The person has paid aggregate nationwide commercial property and casualty insurance premiums in excess of one hundred thousand dollars in the immediately preceding twelve months; and
(iii) The person meets at least one of the following criteria:
(A) The person possesses a net worth in excess of twenty million dollars, as such amount is adjusted pursuant to subdivision (5)(b) of this section;
(B) The person generates annual revenue in excess of fifty million dollars, as such amount is adjusted pursuant to subdivision (5)(b) of this section;
(C) The person employs more than five hundred full-time or full-time equivalent employees per individual insured or is a member of an affiliated group employing more than one thousand employees in the aggregate;
(D) The person is a not-for-profit organization or public entity generating annual budgeted expenditures of at least thirty million dollars, as such amount is adjusted pursuant to subdivision (5)(b) of this section; or
(E) The person is a municipality with a population in excess of fifty thousand inhabitants.
(b) Beginning on the fifth occurrence of January 1 after July 21, 2011, and each fifth occurrence of January 1 thereafter, the amounts in subdivisions (5)(a)(iii)(A), (B), and (D) of this section shall be adjusted to reflect the percentage change for such five-year period in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers published by the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics;
(6) Foreign, alien, admitted, and nonadmitted, when referring to insurers, has the same meanings as in section 44-103 but does not include a risk retention group as defined in 15 U.S.C. 3901(a)(4);
(7)(a) Except as provided in subdivision (7)(b) of this section, home state means, with respect to an insured, (i) the state in which an insured maintains its principal place of business or, in the case of an individual, the individual's principal residence or (ii) if one hundred percent of the insured risk is located out of the state referred to in subdivision (7)(a)(i) of this section, the state to which the greatest percentage of the insured's taxable premium for that insurance contract is allocated.
(b) If more than one insured from an affiliated group are named insureds on a single nonadmitted insurance contract, home state means the home state, as determined pursuant to subdivision (7)(a) of this section, of the member of the affiliated group that has the largest percentage of premium attributed to it under such insurance contract.
(c) When determining the home state of the insured, the principal place of business is the state in which the insured maintains its headquarters and where the insured's high-level officers direct, control, and coordinate the business activities of the insured;
(8) Insurer has the same meaning as in section 44-103;
(9) Nonadmitted insurance means any property and casualty insurance permitted to be placed directly or through surplus lines licensees with a nonadmitted insurer eligible to accept such insurance; and
(10) Qualified risk manager means, with respect to a policyholder of commercial insurance, a person who meets the definition in section 527 of the Nonadmitted and Reinsurance Reform Act of 2010, which is Subtitle B of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, Public Law 111-203, as such section existed on January 1, 2011.