Nebraska Revised Statute 44-5506
Chapter 44 Section 5506
Surplus lines licensee; quarterly statement; tax payment.
(1) Every surplus lines licensee transacting business under the Surplus Lines Insurance Act shall, on or before March 1 for the quarter ending the preceding December 31, June 1 for the quarter ending the preceding March 31, September 1 for the quarter ending the preceding June 30, and December 1 for the quarter ending the preceding September 30 of each year, make and file with the department a verified statement upon a form prescribed by the department or a designee of the director which shall exhibit the true amount of all such business transacted during that period.
(2)(a) Every surplus lines licensee transacting business under the Surplus Lines Insurance Act shall collect and pay to the director or the director's designee, at the time the statement required under subsection (1) of this section is filed, a sum based on the total gross premiums charged, less any return premiums, for surplus lines insurance provided by the licensee pursuant to the license on behalf of an insured whose home state is the State of Nebraska. In no event shall such taxes be determined on a retaliatory basis pursuant to section 44-150.
(b) The sum payable shall be computed based on an amount equal to three percent of the premiums for insurance that covers properties, risks, or exposures located or to be performed in the United States, to be remitted to the State Treasurer in accordance with section 77-912.
(c) The surplus lines licensee is prohibited from rebating, for any reason, any portion of the tax.
- Laws 1913, c. 154, § 25, p. 409;
- R.S.1913, § 3161;
- Laws 1919, c. 190, tit. V, art. III, § 18, p. 588;
- C.S.1922, § 7762;
- C.S.1929, § 44-218;
- R.S.1943, § 44-142;
- Laws 1978, LB 836, § 4;
- Laws 1987, LB 302, § 4;
- Laws 1989, LB 92, § 32;
- R.S.Supp.,1990, § 44-142;
- Laws 1992, LB 1006, § 6;
- Laws 2011, LB70, § 5;
- Laws 2016, LB837, § 1.
- Operative Date: January 1, 2017