Nebraska Revised Statute 45-703.01
(1) A nonprofit organization may apply to the director for a certificate of exemption on a form as prescribed by the department. The director shall grant such certificate if the director finds that the nonprofit organization is a bona fide nonprofit organization. In order for a nonprofit organization to qualify as a bona fide nonprofit organization, the director shall find that it meets the following:
(a) Has the status of a tax exempt organization under section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
(b) Promotes affordable housing or provides homeownership education or similar services;
(c) Conducts its activities in a manner that serves public or charitable purposes rather than commercial purposes;
(d) Receives funding and revenue and charges fees in a manner that does not incentivize it or its employees to act other than in the best interests of its clients;
(e) Compensates its employees in a manner that does not incentivize employees to act other than in the best interests of its clients; and
(f) Provides or identifies for the borrower residential mortgage loans with terms favorable to the borrower and comparable to mortgage loans and housing assistance provided under government assistance programs.
(2) For residential mortgage loans to have terms that are favorable to the borrower, the director shall determine that terms are consistent with loan origination in a public or charitable context rather than in a commercial context.
(3) If the director determines that the application for a certificate of exemption should be denied, the director shall notify the applicant in writing of the denial and of the reasons for the denial. A decision of the director denying an application for a certificate of exemption pursuant to the Residential Mortgage Licensing Act may be appealed. The appeal shall be in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act and rules and regulations adopted and promulgated by the department.
(4) The department has the authority to examine the books and activities of an organization it determines is a bona fide nonprofit organization. The director may, following a hearing under the Administrative Procedure Act, revoke the certificate of exemption granted to a bona fide nonprofit organization if he or she determines that such nonprofit organization fails to meet the requirements of subsection (1) of this section.
(5) In making its determinations and examinations under subsections (1), (2), and (4) of this section, the department may rely on its receipt and review of:
(a) Reports filed with federal, state, or local housing agencies and authorities; or
(b) Reports and attestations required by the department.
Laws 2012, LB965, § 13.
Administrative Procedure Act, see section 84-920.