Nebraska Revised Statute 60-3,147
(1) The registration fee on commercial motor vehicles, except those motor vehicles registered under section 60-3,198, shall be based upon the gross vehicle weight, not to exceed the maximum authorized by section 60-6,294.
(2) The registration fee on commercial motor vehicles, except for motor vehicles and trailers registered under section 60-3,198, shall be based on the gross vehicle weight on such commercial motor vehicles plus the gross vehicle weight of any trailer or combination with which it is operated, except that for the purpose of determining the registration fee, the gross vehicle weight of a commercial motor vehicle towing or hauling a disabled or wrecked motor vehicle properly registered for use on the highways shall be only the gross vehicle weight of the towing commercial motor vehicle fully equipped and not including the weight of the motor vehicle being towed or hauled.
(3) Except as provided in subsection (4) of this section, the registration fee on such commercial motor vehicles shall be at the following rates:
(a) For a gross vehicle weight of three tons or less, eighteen dollars;
(b) For a gross vehicle weight exceeding three tons and not exceeding four tons, twenty-five dollars;
(c) For a gross vehicle weight exceeding four tons and not exceeding five tons, thirty-five dollars;
(d) For a gross vehicle weight exceeding five tons and not exceeding six tons, sixty dollars;
(e) For a gross vehicle weight exceeding six tons but not exceeding seven tons, eighty-five dollars; and
(f) For a gross vehicle weight in excess of seven tons, the fee shall be that for a commercial motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight of seven tons and, in addition thereto, twenty-five dollars for each ton of gross vehicle weight over seven tons.
(4)(a) For fractional tons in excess of the twenty percent or the tolerance of one thousand pounds, as provided in section 60-6,300, the fee shall be computed on the basis of the next higher bracket.
(b) The fees provided by this section shall be reduced ten percent for motor vehicles used exclusively for the transportation of agricultural products.
(c) Fees for commercial motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight in excess of thirty-six tons shall be increased by twenty percent for all such commercial motor vehicles operated on any highway not a part of the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.
(5)(a) Such fee may be paid one-half at the time of registration and one-half on the first day of the seventh month of the registration period when the license fee exceeds two hundred ten dollars. When the second half is paid, the county treasurer shall furnish a registration certificate and license plates issued by the department which shall be displayed on such commercial motor vehicle in the manner provided by law. In addition to the registration fee, the department shall collect a sufficient fee to cover the cost of issuing the certificate and license plates.
(b) If such second half is not paid within thirty days following the first day of the seventh month, the registration of such commercial motor vehicle shall be canceled and the registration certificate and license plates shall be returned to the county treasurer.
(c) Such fee shall be paid prior to any subsequent registration or renewal of registration.
(6) License plates issued under this section shall be the same size and of the same basic design as regular license plates issued under section 60-3,100.
(7) A license plate or plates issued to a commercial motor vehicle with a gross weight of five tons or over shall display, in addition to the registration number, the weight that the commercial motor vehicle is licensed for, using a decal on the license plate or plates of the commercial motor vehicle in letters and numerals of such size and design as shall be determined and issued by the department.
Laws 2005, LB 274, § 147;
Laws 2007, LB286, § 50;
Laws 2012, LB801, § 81.