Nebraska Revised Statute 60-3,190
Chapter 60 Section 3,190
Motor vehicle fee; fee schedules; Motor Vehicle Fee Fund; created; use; investment.
(1) A motor vehicle fee is imposed on all motor vehicles registered for operation in this state. An owner of a motor vehicle which is exempt from the imposition of a motor vehicle tax pursuant to section 60-3,185 shall also be exempt from the imposition of the motor vehicle fee imposed pursuant to this section.
(2) The department shall annually determine the motor vehicle fee on each motor vehicle registered pursuant to this section and shall cause a notice of the amount to be delivered to the registrant. The notice shall be combined with the notice of the motor vehicle tax required by section 60-3,186.
(3) The motor vehicle fee schedules are set out in this subsection and subsection (4) of this section. Except for automobiles with a value when new of less than $20,000, and for assembled automobiles, the fee shall be calculated by multiplying the base fee times the fraction which corresponds to the age category of the automobile as shown in the following table:
|First through fifth||1.00|
|Sixth through tenth||.70|
|Eleventh and over||.35|
(4) The base fee shall be:
(a) Automobiles, with a value when new of less than $20,000, and assembled automobiles — $5
(b) Automobiles, with a value when new of $20,000 through $39,999 — $20
(c) Automobiles, with a value when new of $40,000 or more — $30
(d) Motorcycles — $10
(e) Recreational vehicles and cabin trailers — $10
(f) Trucks over seven tons and buses — $30
(g) Trailers other than semitrailers — $10
(h) Semitrailers — $30
(i) Minitrucks — $10
(j) Low-speed vehicles — $10
(k) Autocycles — $10.
(5) The motor vehicle tax, motor vehicle fee, and registration fee shall be paid to the county treasurer prior to the registration of the motor vehicle for the following registration period. After retaining one percent of the motor vehicle fee collected for costs, the remaining proceeds shall be remitted to the State Treasurer for credit to the Motor Vehicle Fee Fund. The State Treasurer shall return funds from the Motor Vehicle Fee Fund remitted by a county treasurer which are needed for refunds or credits authorized by law.
(6)(a) The Motor Vehicle Fee Fund is created. On or before the last day of each calendar quarter, the State Treasurer shall distribute all funds in the Motor Vehicle Fee Fund as follows: (i) Fifty percent to the county treasurer of each county, amounts in the same proportion as the most recent allocation received by each county from the Highway Allocation Fund; and (ii) fifty percent to the treasurer of each municipality, amounts in the same proportion as the most recent allocation received by each municipality from the Highway Allocation Fund. Any money in the fund available for investment shall be invested by the state investment officer pursuant to the Nebraska Capital Expansion Act and the Nebraska State Funds Investment Act.
(b) Funds from the Motor Vehicle Fee Fund shall be considered local revenue available for matching state sources.
(c) All receipts by counties and municipalities from the Motor Vehicle Fee Fund shall be used for road, bridge, and street purposes.
(7) For purposes of subdivisions (4)(a), (b), (c), and (f) of this section, automobiles or trucks includes all trucks and combinations of trucks or truck-tractors, except those trucks, trailers, or semitrailers registered under section 60-3,198, and the fee is based on the gross vehicle weight rating as reported by the manufacturer.
(8) Current model year vehicles are designated as first-year motor vehicles for purposes of the schedules.
(9) When a motor vehicle is registered which is newer than the current model year by the manufacturer's designation, the motor vehicle is subject to the initial motor vehicle fee for six registration periods.
(10) Assembled vehicles other than assembled automobiles shall follow the schedules for the motor vehicle body type.