Nebraska Revised Statute 60-6,250
Chapter 60 Section 6,250
Tires; requirements; cleats or projections prohibited; exceptions; permissive uses; special permits; exceptions.
(1) Every solid rubber tire on a vehicle moved on any highway shall have rubber on its entire traction surface at least one inch thick above the edge of the flange of the entire periphery.
(2) No tire on a vehicle moved on a highway shall have on its periphery any clock, stud, flange, cleat, or spike or any other protuberance of any material other than rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire, except that:
(a) This prohibition shall not apply to pneumatic tires with metal or metal-type studs not exceeding five-sixteenths of an inch in diameter inclusive of the stud-casing with an average protrusion beyond the tread surface of not more than seven sixty-fourths of an inch between November 1 and April 1, except that school buses, mail carrier vehicles, and emergency vehicles shall be permitted to use metal or metal-type studs at any time during the year;
(b) It shall be permissible to use farm machinery with tires having protuberances which will not injure the highway; and
(c) It shall be permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions upon any vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other condition tending to cause a vehicle to slide or skid.
(3) No person shall operate or move on any highway any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer (a) having any metal tire in contact with the roadway or (b) equipped with solid rubber tires, except that this subsection shall not apply to farm vehicles having a gross weight of ten thousand pounds or less or to implements of husbandry.
(4) The Department of Roads and local authorities in their respective jurisdictions may, in their discretion, issue special permits authorizing the operation upon a highway of traction engines or tractors having movable tracks with transverse corrugations upon the periphery of such movable tracks or farm tractors or other farm machinery.
- Laws 1931, c. 110, § 36, p. 317;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 39-1167;
- R.S.1943, § 39-771;
- Laws 1965, c. 217, § 1, p. 633;
- Laws 1971, LB 678, § 2;
- R.S.Supp.,1972, § 39-771;
- Laws 1980, LB 619, § 3;
- Laws 1983, LB 50, § 1;
- Laws 1987, LB 504, § 3;
- R.S.1943, (1988), § 39-6,131;
- Laws 1993, LB 370, § 346.