Nebraska Revised Statute 76-1416
(1) A landlord may not demand or receive security, however denominated, in an amount or value in excess of one month's periodic rent, except that a pet deposit not in excess of one-fourth of one month's periodic rent may be demanded or received when appropriate, but this subsection shall not be applicable to housing agencies organized or existing under the Nebraska Housing Agency Act.
(2) Upon termination of the tenancy, property or money held by the landlord as prepaid rent and security may be applied to the payment of rent and the amount of damages which the landlord has suffered by reason of the tenant's noncompliance with the rental agreement or section 76-1421. The balance, if any, and a written itemization shall be delivered or mailed to the tenant within fourteen days after demand and designation of the location where payment may be made or mailed.
(3) If the landlord fails to comply with subsection (2) of this section, the tenant may recover the property and money due him or her and reasonable attorney's fees.
(4) This section does not preclude the landlord or tenant from recovering other damages to which he or she may be entitled under the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act.
(5) The holder of the landlord's interest in the premises at the time of the termination of the tenancy is bound by this section.
Nebraska Housing Agency Act, see section 71-1572.